It's been an odd week, as my BFF reminded me on Tuesday having the bank holiday can cause you to get the day's all wrong in your head apart from the rain as you see the resumption of schoolchildren making their way to school
Sometimes you feel more reflective and past incidents aside I do enjoy a slow steady session on a swing and that's when thoughts can go back.I was watching a BBC Archives clip on you tube from the iconic Blue Peter program in 1967, so I don't recall personally seeing it although I'm very confident it would of been on our tv then showing a driving simulator that shows a route and has controls that related to your then common place manual transmission car that Val and John took part in challenges to see how well they did.
I did try when I was sixteen driving a modified automatic car which proved interesting in while I could start it, operate the foot pedals the problem area I had was predicting anything coming into my lane and general hand to eye co-ordination was an issue showing some issue that would compromise my safety and that of other road users.
From that it became obvious that unlike some disabled people driving a modified car funded through payments for my mobility needs wasn't really an option.
Thus in some ways the notion of the A.I. controlled car as in a Taxi you can summon was you need to get from A to B in a area of poor public transport has an appeal although the lack of human does mean you don't get the social interaction that can include say help folding/unfolding a wheelchair or getting shopping bags out.

No comments:
Post a Comment