Sunday 27 September 2009

Violin recording favourites featuring My recordings by Anne Sophie Mutter

It may surprise some folk but I do really love the sound of bowed catgut.
It many of the schools I attended we did listen to a lot of non electrical instruments both as recordings and also in live performances and by the age of 8 I'd gotten the catgut music bug having fallen in love with the solo violin part of Scheherazade and even bought a record of it with my allowance. I feel there is something very emotionally compelling in the way it is played that really tugs at your heart strings.

I had a home made stereo record player that while being not as good as my current stereo equipment did enable me to hear the notes reasonable well.
I like the Philharmonia Orchestra recording on Classics for Pleasure (EMI) with Hugh Bean on violin from the early 1960's for the playing and how the orchestral sound isn't manipulated which means it's sounds like you're sat about a third of the way of the front stalls.

If there is one contemporary violinist whose work I follow with interest, it is the German Annie-Sophie Mutter who I first encountered in the early 1980's and to whom I own a good many recordings of including her new recording of the Brahms Violin Sonatas.
I've always had a soft spot for this German female violinist and here is a list of her records that i own and to which I'll add to in time:

The Great Concertos Various 1986 DG box
(Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Bruch,Brahms)
Bach Violin Concertos EMI
Beethoven: Triple Concerto DG 1980 (1985 CD)
Berg Violin Concerto DG
Brahms Violin and Double Concerto DG (82/3)
Mozart Violin Concertos 3&5 (1978) DG
Vivaldi The Four Seasons 

Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos DG

No comments: