Wednesday 22 August 2012

Turn, turn, turn

Anyone who knows anything at all about me knows I've always loved the Byrds one of the most important American rock groups of the 60's and beyond not just for the individual talents within  the group in its differing lineups but the fact they got to what was new and hip before anyone else did, pioneering whole new musical genres such as Country-Rock that lead us to The Eagles and Poco.

 
I grew up on the UK import History of the Byrds double compilation lp which for its time give a well rounded assessment of their abilities and not a few hard to find vital 45's such as Lady Friend although in time I bought a number of studio albums plus the good if slightly flawed Original singles masters lps issued in the UK in 1980 and 1982 respectively supply all the singles with matching b sides.

People remarked on the music I played at high school during that period as it was so different than anything they were familiar with.

Anyway in 1990 I was based in Surrey, just outside of London, when the news broke that a new box set of their work freshly remastered and even remixed in parts was coming out October 19th on CBS over here (the US edition was on Columbia)  which appealed not least because some of the  early Byrds cds although having the original mixes didn't sound so hot in this new format.

The set also content 6 new recordings made that year showcasing their talent even now.

I remember saving up for it, intending to buy it in a store in Kingston Upon Thames only to find some so and so had stolen all my money so as I was short on funds for meeting my other obligations, I never got around to getting it.

 
I bought all the remastered individual cds from 1996 and 1997 that were issued  featuring many bonus tracks but still hankered for this attractively packaged set

Each disc is titled with its own cover art and there remains a good number of alternate mixes and material not carried over to the "There Is a Season" box set of a few years ago.

 
Fortunately I was able to track down an as new US copy used for a cheap price from a Amazon vendor which should be here in a minute.
I'm really looking forward to finally getting it.
Tracklist:


We Have Ignition
1. Mr Tambourine Man
2. I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better
3. Chimes Of Freedom
4. She Has A Way
5. All I Really Want To Do
6. Spanish Harlem Incident
7. The Bells Of Rhymney
8. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
9. She Don't Care About Time
10. Turn Turn Turn
11. It Won't Be Wrong
12. Lay Down Your Weary Tune
13. He Was A Friend Of Mine
14. The World Turns All Around Her
15. The Day Walk (Never Before)
16. The Times They Are A-Changin'
17. 5D (Fifth Dimension)
18. I Know My Rider
19. Eight Miles High
20. Why
21. Psychodrama city
22. I See You
23. Hey Joe

Cruising Altitude
24. Mr Spaceman
25. John Riley
26. Roll Over Beethoven
27. So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star
28. Have You Seen Her Face
29. My Back Pages
30 Tim Between
31. It Happens Each Day
32. Renaissance Fair
33. Everybody's Been Burned
34. The Girl With No Name
35. Triad
36. Lady Friend
37. Old John Robertson
38. Goin' Back
39. Draft Morning
40. Wasn't Born To Follow
41. Dolphin's Smile
42. Reputation
43. You Ain't Going Nowhere
44. The Christian Life
45. I Am A Pilgrim
46. Pretty Boy Floyd
47. You Don't Miss Your Water

Full Throttle:
48. Hickory Wind
49. Nothing Was Delivered
50. One Hundred Years From Now
51. Pretty Polly
52. Lazy Days
53. This Wheels On Fire
54. Nashville West
55. Old Blue
56. Drug Store Truck Drivin' Man
57. Bad Night At The Whiskey
58. Lay Lady Lay
59. Mae Jean Goes To Hollywood
60. Ballad Of Easy Rider
61. Oil In My Lamp
62. Jesus Is Just Alright
63. Way Beyond The Sun
64. Tulsa County
65. Deportee
66. Lover Of The Bayou
67. Willin'
68. Black Mountain Rag
69. Positively 4th Street

Final Approach:
70. Chestnut Mare
71. Just A Season
72. Kathleen's Song
73. Truck Stop Girl
74. Just Like A Woman
75. Stanley's Song
76. Glory Glory
77. I Trust
78. I Wanna Grow Up To Be A Politician
79. Green Apple Quick Step
80. Tiffany Queen
81. Bugler
82. Lazy Waters
83. Farther Along
84. White's Lightning

From The 1990 Roy Orbison Tribute:
85. Turn Turn Turn
86. Mr Tambourine Man

The Nashville Session: New 1990 Recordings:
87. He Was A Friend Of Mine
88. Paths Of Victory
89. From A Distance
90. Love That Never Dies


A link is on the Favourites tab for Tom's Gene Clark blog (The Clarkophile) that I feel is one of the best music blogs out there.

No comments: