Friday 14 December 2018

Final fling

In a week were frankly it has seemed we've been going through a political nervous breakdown of major proportions thanks to Brexit and the no confidence measure that P.M. Mrs May won by 200 votes yesterday my mind went backwards to the chaos of 1978/9.
The last time this all happened I was very much record centred and in 1978 a compilation by the short-lived but never forgotten over here rock and roll pioneer Buddy Holly was issued which many of my eras teens bought part of the appeal for me was I knew these songs as covered by people like Showaddywaddy who did Heartbeat, Mud who covered Oh Boy!, the Stones with Not Fade Away and the Beatles who did Words Of Love on Beatles VI (UK: Beatles for sale).
So what was on it wasn't unknown and from oldies radio shows I knew a number of the other songs including Brown-eyed Handsome Man, It Doesn't Matter Any More and Rave On.
That lp was re-issued on cd in 1989 by which point I had the acclaimed "Buddy Holly from the original mastertapes" MCA cd mastered by Steve Hoffman but recently treated myself to a copy this childhood album on cd. 
 The exact mastering sources aren't listed but as True Love Ways has the count off on the other cd I do think it borrows some from it.
The strength is this has the post posthumous hits on it I remember and follows the UK order of release.
In all the chaos, relistening to this on cd helped.

No comments: