Friday 4 January 2019

Nipper has lost his bark redux!

It may be the new year but there's a distinct feeling of deja vu in the air given I've had to go go into the district centre quicker than I'd of planned this Monday
 On January 13th 2013 on this blog I wrote about the going into administration of HMV, the large british music and video retailer on the back of the collapse of Jessop's photography stores.
Well on Friday December 28 2018 around 10 am as I was out on a long walk, it was announced Hilco who owned HMV since that year had filed for administration citing poor christmas sales, a big collapse in dvd/blu ray sales, very high rents and the moved toward streaming.
Oh brother thought I as I looked at my telephone answering  device as I saw my brother had left a message for me because as it happened he'd given me a gift voucher bought mid December for Christmas.
With charismatic fairness he'd said if they weren't going to honour gift vouchers -and under UK law they need not when in administration-  he'd give me a cash replacement.
A vinyl rack in store where you may discern vinyl prices are high than corresponding cd issues although there's always been something in holding a lp record in your hand compared to a cd never mind a download.

 A cd rack where many titles are discounted meaning in real terms they sell for less than did in the early 1990's including even Chart Titles not just back catalogues that stores such as HMV stocked in the past.

That news was why I had get get my voucher redeemed asap before any store closures and major stock depictions take place.

As most of cd and sacd discs I buy tend to be limited edition titles with world wide runs of 5,000 or less stores tend not to stock them in the way during the nineties they did.
Instead I picked up some dvd and blu ray titles such as the Beatles documentary movie Eight Day's a Week - the touring years from 2016 I had been putting off for a bit but were likely to get fairly soon anyway.
That took care of ensuring my Christmas voucher money wasn't lost.

No comments: