Friday 18 March 2022

Paying Amazon

 

You know this place don't you?

Chances are you've used it for a good while for various things and never more than in the last two or so years when at various times the High Street was either shut completely or restricted to the pure essentials.

Well the first problem I had was I wanted to add my mobile number to it which for historic reasons was never entered and in the height of the pandemic Vodafone had cancelled as they altered the terms and I didn't realize it until I saw I'd been removed from the network. 

You would think adding it would be a simple matter of updating the account profile information but I get sent a OneTimeOnly OTA code to it which after a bit of a delay came through and was duly entered but then it wanted to me to verify it by tapping it.

Well my phone is not a smartphone cos my co-ordination and fingers are badly messed up to the point I can't use one so there was no option so back to the website trailing through assistance pages that had "another method" tm (how cryptic can tech sites get???) which did send a code to my email account.

Remember email accounts? Yeah something so late 90's and 2K and that when entered worked.

Next up is anti fraud measures.

No one likes fraud and it's effects but this since Monday has been affecting payments even payments previously accepted onto the systems where for abnormal or amounts typically over £25 you have to authorize.

Again the common method of doing so is a mobile phone but you may not have you mobile listed on your bank details especially if you've been with them for absolute eons and some only have this via Apps which naturally do not run anything but a smartphone as the banks want to you into internet banking.

Now your mobile signal could be poor to nonexistant where you live or at least your computer does or you may not have a mobile of any sort, not uncommon with those who are elderly.

As I don't do apps and can't use a mobile I can see myself moving away from Amazon for high value transactions using PayPal on other sites such as Ebay who does use systems that work with simple mobile phones or even cheques.

Honestly there's so much faff today in just doing the mundane like shopping.

No comments: