Friday 20 September 2024

The birth of advanced picture taking

Lots things going on here like more talk about those beatles records at various sites and as befits 2024 youtube videos, instagram and all but given much of that is just discussion with speculation we won't be referring to that this week, only more nearer the time.

A bigger thing really was it being around thirty years ago when I started to get more ambitious around photography as much of that was done mainly on a 35mm compact that had a wide angled lens with an so-called "macro facility" which wasn't true macro but more a close up akay for groups of coins by that was about it.

 Although I had borrowed a couple of Dad's cameras including an Olympus OM1n and had picked up cheaply a Russian made Zenith-E finding the ability to change lenses and see more or less exactly where the lens was pointing most useful I was still mainly using that compact I'd picked up in 1989 before I went to college in Surrey, England.

What I picked up and bought was a used Olympus budget model discontinued several years previous which was a small light weight camera, the Olympus Om10 which by design was semi-automatic model for simple picture taking with some control of how sharp things were in front and behind the subject.

You could even preview that!

It did have a useful track that took it a step up, an option to have a manual shutter speed selector that plugged in and that came with the one I had

Getting to grips with that, learning, adding as funds allowed extra lenses, taught me a lot about photography and really altered how I saw taking pictures even if just for my own enjoyment.

That's what I'm marking today even if I have a DSLR and Bridge camera.

No comments: