Friday 12 April 2019

Vangelis

While all the mess is still going on around me I was looking back at a pair of albums I loved in the early 80's which were a bit different from much of the music I was listening to being mainly electronic and atmospheric tying in more with the ambient sounds of  the Windham Hill label in the States than the likes of much of the British "New Romantics".
The Best of originally came out in 1978 but by the time I bought my copy in 1981 had already been reissued and takes in such groundbreaking tracks as Pulstar, Spiral and Bacchanale.
One thing Vangelis was known for in that year was providing the theme from the acclaimed movie Chariots of Fire which charted as a 45 that bought them greater public attention.
During this period they collaborated for three albums with Jon Andersson who had done much with the group Yes supplying vocals.
 Originally issued on record and tape and shortly after on cd, The Best of Jon and Vangelis had a mix of album tracks such as The Friends of Mr. Cairo and two top ten hits, 1980's I Hear You Now and 1981's I'll Find My Home issued around Christmas which I remember well.
These albums were taped at the time on to cassette - the duck egg and purple coloured  Yashima label of one I can still visualize to this day - and in time I bought the cd versions which for early discs were pretty impressive still sounding fine.

No comments: