Friday 11 October 2019

Restoring the vinyl

After the "Broked Edition" we have some restoration edition around vinyl which has been a mainstay of my music collection for a long time even if some went around the late 1980's and early 1990's as I embraced with some reluctance the compact disc.
Belinda Carlisle was an artist who I followed a lot during that era, coming from the Go-Go's to who  I liked in the early 1980's who had hits with Vacation, We Got The Beat and Our Lips are Sealed.
I had bought on record her second  album Heaven On Earth and it's follow up, the magnificent Runaway Horses even though the latter was also bought on cd and I later picked up the cd of Heaven on Earth.
By 1991 however I was starting to wind down on vinyl purchasing and so when later that year Live Your Life, Be Free was issued I bought that straight away on cd.
I had acquired the UK Virgin lp of it a good two decades later but to be honest I was very underwhelmed by it not least because it had vinyl roar not just between songs but so intrusive it obscured many of the quieter passages
 It was reissued in box set and then separately in 2018 by Demon Records who have acquired the rights to her catalogue and good number of other artists.
 They chose to issue it on red coloured vinyl which in reality all vinyl is being normally clear and coated black usually so unlike picture discs it doesn't affect sound quality.
This copy is much quieter and  has improved low notes although personally given one side is long I think a double album with perhaps a remix on the fourth side might of made more sense

In the Fall of 1993 Belinda released her fourth solo album Real or was it written without any punctuation probably as a artistic statement belindacarlislereal which as bought on cd although a very limited vinyl edition was made that usually sells for a lot of money.
As was my want in that era those cds were all taped on Maxell XLII high bias tape and that was no exception for my then Aiwa Walkman using a expensive Technics cassette deck.
 The sheer scarcity of the vinyl edition meant this album wasn't on vinyl in my collection so seeing this also was reissued in 2018 I bought a copy.

This was issued on clear vinyl which natively all vinyl is and actually sounds more open and less compressed than the cd which was louder than many but sadly others where much louder still a year later due to the so-called Loudness Wars.
I think having this edition was well worth it as it helps in enjoying it.
 
One of a small number of albums affected by the PVC sleeve issue was my original 1982 Eye Of The Tiger album by Mid-Western rock band Survivor which is a classic of the genre. The inside of the lp jacket smelt badly of the gas from those sleeves and it had started to 'fog over'.
Seeing it had a number of marks that resulted in clicks too I bought a mint original of the very first pressing over here which is a lot better and replaced the rubbish plain poor quality paper inner with a lined one.
It also had the lyric insert which my original had lost over the years.

No comments: