Friday 17 January 2020

The non academic things we learn in school

There are things I could talk about easily but they aren't in any way resolved apart from much of what is referred to isn't clearly fact so rather late in the day I decided to write this.

I was looking for something similar but more your boarding school boy as you see I had this image in my head of "Boris the Bold" leading on with the entire forms tuck box  saying "This could be jolly handy later on in my life".

In a way while we do have the ability to change, much of who we are is well established by the time we've left school that there is a lot to said for looking at the kinds of opportunities that can help people develop life skills while at it rather just a preoccupation with the academic as much as I don't give anyone who  doesn't value that an easy ride at all.

It may be something like being the Captain of a sports team or say running a club during recess, getting others involved, showing how to do things more effectively or fixing the competitions or presentation for say parents day.

These kinds of things do actually help like for example in my school we had a after school time gym class a friend run, taking the contributions, setting out equipment and exercises.
They were hardly well off, frankly my family was more well off than hers but she did an excellent job of it and so she had something to say about herself for when she left school because she demonstrated skills and abilities that people especially employers are looking for.

She really impressed me and within our school she wasn't alone either.

One thing I tend to think is having either all girl or boy settings means it is more likely everyone will take those opportunities sensing they need to be done rather than just assuming "The girls will do that" or "we'll leave that to the boys of form V" because they will need to take ownership apart from making each group more in tune with what its members want as trying to run something coe-od doesn't always work well.

No comments: