Friday 25 November 2022

The Thriller in the Rain

It's an odd week, getting close to Advent but not really feeling that much like it probably with both the generally downbeat feelings post covid and with everything else going on such as War in Ukraine, the controversy around the World Cup and the continuous trickling reports on the Cost of Living crisis.

It also has rained rather a lot this week that impacted on my abilities to spend time outside often coupled with strong winds so I've been busy reading books and comics when not on forums as a number of things have come out tied in with the Christmas book and record sales campaigns before years end.

This was an important one which in its record form was what caused the great cutting from digital controversy at Mobile Fidelity in July cos the copied the master tape at a super high resolution from the label that owns it and then made adjustments using analogue equipment to cut the record.

It's forty years old and I feel remains one of the best records of that era with an exceptional recording.

Way back in that era I had copies of that and Michael Jacksons other albums on cassette tied in with playing on my radio cassette recorder and "Walkman" except mine was a Aiwa but they went by the late 90's as I embraced the MiniDisc.

With my only surviving MiniDisc recorders being portables and having a home cassette deck back again since 2016 I've remade a couple including Thriller using that Super Audio cd version which sounds fantastic even on ordinary players backed with Off The Wall, his 1979 Epic solo debut from the European first issue with original mixes.


The last copies from the mid to late 80's were done on these cassettes which were very classy looking and technically more reliable than late TDK SA's.

I redid my own custom edit of his Bad album of 1987 again from the original European cd (Japanese pressed) as several tracks later on got remixes inserted by taking out one weaker track the 48 minutes got reduced to just over 45.

I then added a few tracks from his 1975 Forever Michael album including the UK number one single One Day In Your Life and the 1973 missing at the time recordings but completed in 1984 Farewell My Summer Love album as I liked his work at Motown from the Hello World box set of 2010. 

They came out well so that bit of revisiting the past paid off.

No comments: