Friday 23 March 2018

Please be a responsible dog owner


Tuesday wasn't a good day for me not least for an incident that I hope never to witness ever again on our estate just out of town.
As I think I mentioned on here I do walk quite a bit on a daily basis even though it is pretty tiring for me with my difficulties because quite simply not only would be likely to put on weight but also because if I did not, my muscles would start to waste away becoming less and less able to even get around the house.
Anyway, it was the afternoon and as I had been taking care of stuff for Mom had eaten about a half hour earlier I decided to put my winter hat, coat and shoes on to have a gradual walk around the estate and adjoining countryside.
When I do, I don't have a fixed distance our route in mind,preferring to listen to my body, the terrain and the weather instead and having just turned to a housing around passing the sinking village green (Brine Subsidence is marvellous!) as coming the other way on the opposite sidewalk (/pavement) stood a man in his fifties, and two adult daughters around late twenties, early thirties and a head of them a small Scottie  type dog that had no lead on it but clearly was theirs.
I decide the best approach is to continue along walking  where upon the Scottie runs across the road that is the main thoroughfare through the estate and starts jumping  up yapping at me refusing my attempts to persuade it to leave.
At this point having tried to call it over owner dashes across after it and it runs into oncoming traffic and this goes on and on with the daughters joining in with the squeals of quickly applied car breaks being applied four times as dog and car wheels narrowly avert a road traffic accident between which said dog is jumping up and down pawing my legs.
I am stood their hands over eyes expecting the sound of crunched dog.
A quarter of an hour later, eventually the owner is able to pick up by by the collar muttering about it being a naughty dog with no apology..
The dog may of been out of control but the thing was they were not in control of that dog who could of caused a traffic accident resulting in injury or death to others  because they for whatever reason chose when taking it out not to put a dog lead on.
They have a far higher responsibility for all that did happen than the Scottie ever did.
The whole incident left me very shaken up.
Please if you do own a dog put it on a lead of  a suitable length when walking it in built up areas as well as in fields. Thank you.

No comments: