Friday 7 September 2018

Computerized returns

It's September so it's time to be making my way back to the dorm but given it is actually 2018 it's not enough to have ones supply of jotters, pens, geometry set and so on it requires a bit of computing power.

"The Kid" has my Chromebook before she fires off another complaint about 'borrowing' her stuff which leaves me with an old but well put together Dell D620 14 inch laptop which isn't too bad a size and actually has a slightly higher resolution.
As some of may know I'm not exactly a fan of Microsoft for reasons that go back trying to lock me into Internet Explorer, an aversion to MS Office and so on but I do have few things that need Windows specifically Windows 7 to run so it's more a question of keeping it going.
One thing I use this machine for is copying cds to either Free Lossless (Flac) or Mp3 files and there isn't a utility for Chromebooks to do that and I prefer simple lightweight image processing programs while the market has moved into complex boated suites that go into desktop publishing.
It's also easier if you need to sign into different accounts on sites to have two browsers   open on each rather than signing in and out of one so currently this has Chrome which I'm fairly happy with even if it 'phones home' in addition to Pale Moon which in its current form I have had to change because it too unstable to use reliably without becoming unresponsive.
For the first time in ages, I have installed Firefox on it which believe it or not I first installed on an ancient desktop in July 2006 in if I recall right would of been version 2.0.0.2 on it because it just works and indeed that is what I'm blogging in right now.
There was another thing that needed  some attention too. The original power unit was starting to fail producing less power than it needed to work well and the cord from the power unit to the laptop with its 7..3mm plug was losing its insulation

Fortunately because this series of Dell Laptops were very popular you can get replacement power units  so I bought and installed a 19.5 volt 4.62 'heavy duty' unit for it so it runs well and keeps the battery well charged.
Talking of which the one supplied with mine was only running for about ten minutes before giving up plus failed to indicate being 'in' it on the status bar.
 I ordered and fitted a replacement 11.1 volt 5200mAh 58Wh li-on battery for that just slots in on the base which shows up and is fully charged now. 
The capacity is higher than the original but the 90 watt charger is more than capable of providing the charge so it will run for longer from it which is always useful.
So with all that attended to that's me sorted I just have to be good now this term. 

No comments: