Friday 19 July 2019

Proms 2019

Today sees the resumption of the BBC promenade concerts in person and live on radio, television and online for this one hundred and twenty-fifth season where mainly classical and a small amount of popular music music will performed by various orchestras, conductors and soloists.
For me it's a season where for most nights there will be music on, some I am familiar with - you don't really want to see my cd collection!- and some not that you just take in with thousands of others and explore.
It also is a continuation rather like most things of a childhood ritual where even as a nine year old, I'd listen to the odd prom by myself and indeed my 'transistor radio' spent almost as much time tuned to 247 metres (the then home of Radio One) as 464 metres (the then home of Radio Three the arts and classical music station) as a junior school child and where possible by the time I was at high school I was even tape recording whole concerts on reels of tape.
This Friday we'll hear the Czech composer Janacek's Glogolitic Mass, Dvorak's The Golden Spinning Wheel and the newly commissioned by the BBC  Long Is the Journey – Short Is the Memory by Zosha Di Castri that marks the 50th anniversary this week of the Apollo 11 mission to the Moon.

No comments: